Sex work and mental health: supporting your well-being
During the coronavirus pandemic, many people have been affected, especially sex workers.
In India, social distancing measures have severely impacted the sex industry, leaving many sex workers in a vulnerable position not only financially but also mentally.
- What is mental health?
- Common mental health disorders
- Tips on taking care of mental health
- Mental health organizations and institutions that can help
- Seek help for your mental health
If you are a Escorts services worker and need support for your mental well-being, there are steps you can take to help manage and manage your mental health . Read our guide below for more information.
What is Sex work and mental health?
Mental health is the terminology used to describe a level of quality of psychological (and emotional) functioning and life balance, or the absence of mental illness.
Mental health disorders are one of the leading causes of ill health across the world. The World Health Organization (WHO) states that 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem at some point in their lives . To help raise awareness, the World Health Organization recognizes World Mental Health Day on October 10th.
Poor mental health can affect all aspects of your life, including relationships, work and physical health, and can be influenced by both internal and external factors. Recent studies have highlighted the coronavirus as being a significant external factor impacting people’s mental well-being.
According to a study by British mental support organization Mind , 60% of adults and 68% of young people under 25 reported that their mental health had deteriorated during pandemic isolation .
Another survey, carried out with 3,500 people in seven countries (Colombia, Lebanon, Philippines, South Africa, Switzerland, Ukraine and the United Kingdom) by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), revealed that 51% of the people interviewed indicated that the Covid-19 pandemic had a negative impact on your mental health .
Common mental health disorders
Not only does the evidence suggest that Covid-19 has caused Sex work and mental health problems in sex workers, but international studies also reveal that “existing mental health problems are likely to be accelerated” by pandemic-related issues such as anxiety about income and housing. .
According to additional research, the most common mental disorders currently experienced by female sex workers are:
- Depression (usually the most common)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Although studies on the mental health of men and transgender sex workers are limited, information and resources on the subject can be found here .
Causes of Sex work and mental health problems
According to several empirical studies, there are a number of factors (structural and sociological) that can impact the mental health of sex workers.
They include the lack of:
- Social and peer support
- financial security
- Autonomy at work
- Safe working conditions
Tips on taking care of mental health
If you are having mental health problems, it is advisable to seek the support of a professional, who will help you identify the reasons and the best way to treat them. However, there are some things you can do yourself to help maintain Sex work and mental health and well-being. They include:
- Regular Exercise: Incorporating frequent exercise can not only help you with your physical health, but it is also a good way to produce endorphins and release toxins from your body.
- Meditation: Meditation is a great technique that can help you stay present, aware, and calm under pressure. This will help you to bring peace of mind to deal with the possible problems you may have.
- Balanced Diet: Eating balanced meals throughout the day will make you less susceptible to illness or weakness, while helping you maintain your energy levels
- Prioritize your sleep time: A good night’s sleep is essential to keep your mind and body relaxed and healthy
- Take time for yourself: take time for yourself and find an activity you enjoy (such as reading , watching movies, writing, drawing or a specific exercise, among many possibilities)
Mental health organizations and institutions that can help
In addition to the above tips, in India there are many public and private mental health services that provide support to people who are facing problems related to Sex work and mental health mental health or well-being. See some suggestions below:
- Indian Mental Health Association
- Life Incentive Group
- wellness institute
- Cool Cuca Project
Seek help for your mental health
It is important to realize that there are many circumstances that can impact and affect a person’s mental well-being.
In addition to taking care of your physical health, it’s important to know how to maintain Sex work with kolkata escorts and mental health to enable you to fulfill important functions such as being productive at work, dealing with stress effectively, and being able to form and maintain healthy relationships with others.
If you think you need support for your mental health, wait no longer and ask for help today.